I received my Ph.D. from EPFL, Switzerland, in 2005, for work on mobile robot path planning and obstacle avoidance. My expertise lies in interweaving reasoning, planning, and control. My current research interest lies in robots that take an active part in modifying their environment, while also pursuing applied research in intelligent vehicles. Some of the real-world robotics project I have contributed to are: tour-guide robots at the Swiss Expo.02, educational robots for the EPFL student contest 2001-2004, robotic actors for a theater play in 2005, a Cognitive Robot Companion in 2006, the PR2 of Willow Garage Inc, and the Meka robot of HCRL at UT Austin. I always try to push for robust open source software in this area, because I believe that autonomous robots can improve the lives of all humanity, provided we openly share knowledge and implementations.
Dr. Roland Philippsen|
Högskolan i Halmstad
Kristian IV:x väg 3
302 50 Halmstad
email: roland DOT philippsen AT hh DOT se
phone: +46 (0) 35 167 249
gpg: key E84C528D
The Whole-Body Control framework developed at the Stanford Robotics and AI Lab provides advanced control for human-centered robotics and mobile manipulation. This project provides a framework for developing robot behaviors that use operational-space hierarchical task decompositions, based on the work of many contributors over many years, under the guidance of and in collaboration with Oussama Khatib: most notably Jaeheung Park, K. C. Chang, Diego Ruspini, Roy Featherstone, Bob Holmberg, FranoisçConti, Roland Philippsen, and Luis Sentis.
The E* algorithm is a path planner for (mobile) robotics. Unlike A*, which constrains movements to graph edges, it produces smooth trajectories by interpolating between edges. Like D*, it supports dynamic replanning after local path cost changes.
Interpolated distance transform for grids, based on Fast Marching. An offshoot from the E* project.
The sunflower library provides programming abstractions developed at the Autonomous Systems Lab. It contains a complete path planning and obstacle avoidance system, common mobile robotics tasks abstractions, and a 2D simulator.
Cerebrate provides mechatronic control code for artists. It was created in 2005 for Fernandez, an autonomous cactus by Vincent Kohler and Roland Philippsen, for an expo at the Villa Bernasconi in Lancy during Science et Cité in Geneva. In 2006, Blink and Ibou were added to control blinking light patterns and statue motions for Vincent's Pavés and Hibou. Haiko is voxel visualization software that was added in 2008 as a pet project for the minimalist pixel dog.
under construction: ask Ralf to migrate asl-mplan and asl-mcontrol to aslforge and give them proper project pages
Motion planning (for planar vehicles) and motion control (for Ackermann vehicles) software developed at the Autonomous Systems Lab. They are best tried out using the E* development kit.
...eternally under construction...
- Roland Philippsen, Luis Sentis, Oussama Khatib. An open-source extensible software package to create whole-body compliant skills in personal mobile manipulators. Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2011.
- Roland Philippsen, Negin Nejati, Luis Sentis. Bridging the Gap Between Semantic Planning and Continuous Control for Mobile Manipulation Using a Graph-Based World Representation. 1st International Workshop on Hybrid Control of Autonomous Systems (HYCAS) held in conjunction with the International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI), Pasadena, California, USA, July 13, 2009.
- Roland Philippsen, Sascha Kolski, Kristijan Macek, Björn Jensen. Mobile Robot Planning in Dynamic Environments and on Growable Costmaps. Workshop on Path Planning on Costmaps, Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2008.
- Roland Philippsen, Sascha Kolski, Kristijan Macek, Roland Siegwart. Path Planning, Replanning, and Execution for Autonomous Driving in Urban and Offroad Environments. Workshop on Planning, Perception and Navigation for Intelligent Vehicles, Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2007.
- Roland Philippsen, Björn Jensen, Roland Siegwart. Towards Real-Time Sensor-Based Path Planning in Highly Dynamic Environments. Autonomous Navigation in Dynamic Environments, Springer Tracts on Advanced Robotics (STAR) Volume 35, Editors Christian Laugier and Raja Chatila, ISBN 978-3-540-73421-5, 2007.
- Roland Philippsen, Björn Jensen, Roland Siegwart. Toward Online Probabilistic Path Replanning in Dynamic Environments. Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2006.
- Roland Philippsen, Björn Jensen, Roland Siegwart. Toward Online Probabilistic Path Replanning. Workshop on Autonomous Sensor-Based Motion for Complex Robots in Complex Environments, Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2006.
- Roland Philippsen. A Light Formulation of the E* Interpolated Path Replanner. Technical Report, Autonomous Systems Lab, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, 2006.
- Roland Philippsen and Roland Siegwart. An Interpolated Dynamic Navigation Function. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2005.
- Roland Philippsen. Motion Planning and Obstacle Avoidance for Mobile Robots in Highly Cluttered Dynamic Environments. PhD Thesis, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Thèse sciences EPFL no 3146 (2004), Faculté des sciences et techniques de l'ingénieur STI, Section de microtechnique, Institut d'ingénierie des systèmes, 2004.
- Roland Philippsen and Roland Siegwart. Smooth and Efficient Obstacle Avoidance for a Tour Guide Robot. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2003.
- Luis Sentis, Josh Petersen, Roland Philippsen. Implementation and stability analysis of prioritized whole-body compliant controllers on a wheeled humanoid robot in uneven terrains. Autonomous Robots (ISSN 0929-5593), August, 2013.
- Peter Muehlfellner, Paul Timothy Furgale, Wojciech Derendarz, Roland Philippsen. Evaluation of Fisheye-Camera Based Visual Multi-Session Localization in a Real-World Scenario. Proceedings of the IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, 2013.
- Walid Taha, Robert Cartwright, Roland Philippsen, Yingfu Zeng. A First Course on Cyber Physical Systems. 1st Workshop on Cyber-Physical Systems Education (CPS-Ed). Proceedings of CPSWeek, 2013.
- David Madås, Mohsen Nosratinia, Mansour Keshavarz, Peter Sundström, Roland Philippsen, Andreas Eidehall, Karl-Magnus Dahlén. On Path Planning Methods for Automotive Collision Avoidance. Proceedings of the IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, 2013.
- Walid Taha and Roland Philippsen. Modeling Basic Aspects of Cyber-Physical Systems. 3rd International Workshop on Domain-Specific Languages and Models for Robotic Systems (DSLRob-12). Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Simulation, Modeling, and Programming for Autonomous Robots (SIMPAR), 2012.
- Stéphane Magnenat, Roland Philippsen, Francesco Mondada. Autonomous construction using scarce resources in unknown environments: Ingredients for an intelligent robotic interaction with the physical world. Autonomous Robots (ISSN 0929-5593), Vol 33, No 4, 2012.
- Luis Sentis, Joshua George Petersen, Roland Philippsen. Experiments with Balancing on Irregular Terrains using the Dreamer Mobile Humanoid Robot. Proceedings of Robotics: Science and Systems, 2012.
- Ingo Lütkebohle, Roland Philippsen, Vijay Pradeep, Eitan Marder-Eppstein, Sven Wachsmuth. Generic middleware support for coordinating robot software components: The Task-State-Pattern. Journal of Software Engineering for Robotics (JOSER), ISSN 2035-3928, Vol 2, No 1, 2011.
- Sylvain Joyeux, Rachid Alami, Simon Lacroix, Roland Philippsen. A Plan Manager for Multi-robot Systems. International Journal of Robotics Research IJRR, 28(2) pp 220-240, February 2009.
- Fang Yuan, Agnes Swadzba, Roland Philippsen, Orhan Engin, Marc Hanheide, Sven Wachsmuth. Laser-Based Navigation Enhanced with 3D Time-of-Flight Data. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2009.
- Kristijan Macek, Roland Philippsen, Roland Siegwart. Path Following for Autonomous Vehicle Navigation with Inherent Safety and Dynamics Margin. Proceedings of the IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, Eindhoven, Netherlands, 2008.
- Roland Siegwart, Kai O. Arras, Samir Bouabdallah, Daniel Burnier, Gilles Froidevaux, Xavier Greppin, Björn Jensen, Antoine Lorotte, Laetitia Mayor, Mathieu Meisser, Roland Philippsen, Ralph Piguet, Guy Ramel, Gregoire Terrien, Nicola Tomatis. Robox at Expo.02: A Large Scale Installation of Personal Robots. Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol. 42, 2003, 203-222.
- Björn Jensen, Roland Philippsen, Roland Siegwart. Narrative Situation Assessment for Human-Robot Interaction. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2003.
- Roland Siegwart, Kai-Oliver Arras, Björn Jensen, Roland Philippsen, Nicola Tomatis. Design, Implementation and Exploitation of a New Fully Autonomous Tour Guide Robot. 1st International Workshop on Advances in Service Robotics (ASER), 2003.
- Kai-Oliver Arras, Roland Philippsen, Nicola Tomatis, Marc de Battista, Martin Schilt, Roland Siegwart. A Navigation Framework for Multiple Mobile Robots and its Application at the Expo.02 Exposition. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2003.
- Björn Jensen, Roland Philippsen, Roland Siegwart. Motion Detection and Path Planning in Dynamic Environments. Workshop on Reasoning with Uncertainty in Robotics, Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI), 2003.
- Kai-Oliver Arras, Roland Philippsen, Marc de Battista, Martin Schilt, Roland Siegwart. A Navigation Framework for Multiple Mobile Robots and its Application. Workshop on Robots in Exhibitions, Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2002.
- Björn Jensen, Roland Philippsen, Gilles Froidevaux, Roland Siegwart. Mensch-Maschine Interaktion auf der Expo.02. VDI-Berichte 1679 Tagung Robotik, Ludwigsburg, Germany, 2002.
- Nicola Tomatis, Roland Philippsen, Björn Jensen, Kai-Oliver Arras, Grégoire Terrien, Ralph Piguet, Roland Siegwart. Building a Fully Autonomous Tour Guide Robot: Where Academic Research Meets Industry. 33rd International Symposium on Robotics, Stockholm, Sweden, 2002.
- Roland Philippsen, Luis Sentis. Open-Source Whole-Body Control Framework for Human-Friendly Robots (extended abstract). 4th Workshop on Human-Friendly Robotics (HFR 2011), University of Twente, Netherlands, November 8-9, 2011.
- Roland Philippsen. E* Interpolated Graph Replanner. Workshop on Algorithmic Motion Planning for Autonomous Robots in Challenging Environments, Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2007.